Sign in to follow this  
ed_von_schleck

...and another E-Fix user

Hi there,

although my efix is still running I thought it would be could to have a second option for booting my lovely OSX.

Unfortunately I am already stuck at the first step of AsereBLN's guide :(

My bloody usb stick is formatted in FAT32 and I can't persuade him to move to HFS? I can create a HFS partition, but it appears as Master Boot Record instead of GUID, most probably as the format of the device itself won't switch to HFS?

I am pretty sure that I will have to ask you loads of question later, especially when it comes down to terminal useage...

Anyway, I appreciate your forum and the idea of offering people a second chance - thank you!

Cheers ed.

SImple,

In Disk Utility, select your USB drive, then go to the Partition tab. Click on the "Volume Scheme" pull down list. On it select 1 Partition.

Then click on the "Otions" button below the Volume Scheme List and select the top item, GUID.

Good luck.

It is probably best to follow Asere's guide. This will get you booting nice and quick, but not in a clean way. You should then locate your patched motherboard DSDT from this post:

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=38

The read Thoria's posts (more than one) in this thread. He will walk you through patching the dsdt to your exact specifications:

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=66

At the end of this, you should have a dsdt.aml file that will be your friend for a little while.

Then you can tackle Snow Leopard guide from Mike's Post. Read his posts and my post to get SL working. You will need that nice dsdt.aml file.

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=103

A lot of reading, and lot of learning and reading between the lines, but hopefully this will get you going. Also it would help if you listed your hardware specs. Someone could have the exact dsdt you need and save you headaches.

Thx elmanomez - it was really a simple one :(

USB stick is labelled EFiB{censored}

chameleon installed exactly as described, files copied.

And got stuck again at the terminal, as expected...

umount -f /Volumes/EFiB{censored} ...gives...

umount: unmount(/Volumes/EFiB{censored}): Operation not permitted

Sorry for being that rookish - at least it explains why I use(d) the EFIX.

Here are my specs

ep-45-ds3 (I'll check the bios rev next time I boot)

Q9400@3,2

GF9800GTX+

WLAN card D-Link DWA547

and the usual suspects like fans,tower,RAM, HDDs :D

Sound device is the onboard one.

Thanks for any support!!

ed

EDit

OSX 10.5.7...didn't dare to upgrade to .8

Are you logging in as root user?

At the beginning of your terminal session, type:

sudo -s

and hit return.

You will then be prompted for your password. As you type it in, nothing will appear in the terminal. After entering your password, hit return. The prompt at the beginning of each line should now look a little different.

This gives you privileges to do the kind of stuff you need to do to set up your Hackintosh. Be careful what you type after once you are the root user though. There is no undo in Terminal.

Thx - but same result^^ :(

I actually thought that I am using already an account having the admin rights anyway...I am absolutely not familiar with the terminal.

And before I will have to post this question anyway, when will I have to press "enter" each time later in the procedure? And maybe one could indicate to me what exactley I have to type?

My terminal looks like this:

"ComputerName:~ UserName$ "

Isn't there a way to offer newbies as I am for the work in terminal some kind of script , in which the newb just enters the usb device directory?

And finally, wanna move my post to the tutorial/introduction section, I am afraid this post is going to be a REAL tutorial!

Thank you,

ed

What happens if you type in "sudo -s" at the beginning of your session? Is there a prompt to enter your root password?

The sudo command is the "super user do" command that will give you root privileges that you need for these actions.

At what point you are? Do you have already figured out where your USB-Stick is plugged in? First use the command "mount" to find that out. You will get a list like this from Aseres tutorial:

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
fdesc on /dev (fdesc, union)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, automounted)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted)
/dev/disk0s3 on /Volumes/BOOTCAMP (ntfs, local, read-only, noowners)
/dev/disk1s2 on /Users/admin (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled)
/dev/disk2s1 on /Volumes/EFiB{censored} (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, noowners)

The important information is the part with "diskXs#" in the line your USB-Stick stands. You will need this information to edit the right mounting information in the next steps. In this example it stands in the last line and is "disk2s1".

Therefore you have to type in the following lines. If you are not sure what a command is for, simple type in "man" space "TheNameOfCommand" - you will get a short description. Or just google or wiki the command.

I think the "find" commands are just cosmetic, not really necessary. The important thing is to change the userrights. Someone may correct me if i am wrong! ;)

umount -f /Volumes/EFI
mkdir EFITEMP
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs# EFITEMP/
cd EFITEMP
find . -type d -exec xattr -d "com.apple.FinderInfo" {} \; -print
find . -type f -exec xattr -d "com.apple.FinderInfo" {} \; -print
find . -type d -exec xattr -d "com.apple. quarantine" {} \; -print
find . -type f -exec xattr -d "com.apple. quarantine" {} \; -print
find . -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm -f {} \; -print
cd Extra/
chmod -R 755 Extensions
chown -R root:wheel Extensions