Sign in to follow this  
ed_von_schleck

...and another E-Fix user

...I am absolutely not familiar with the terminal.

Isn't there a way to offer newbies as I am for the work in terminal some kind of script , in which the newb just enters the usb device directory?

If you want to be able to successfully setup and maintain a hackintosh, you absolutely need to learn basic terminal skills. It's really not very hard, and as marcos mentioned, you can learn a lot right in terminal by typing "man" and then the command you want to know about.

While there are a few utilities that automate some of the processes, you are really better off just spending a couple hours learning about the terminal. If you do not feel capable of this, I hate to say it, but you might be better off just buying a Mac or sticking with the EFI-X. Even if you can crutch your way through the install by having others tell you exactly what to type, the time will come when you need to perform some basic maintenance or troubleshoot a problem, and if you haven't taken the time to learn the basic skills, you'll be stuck.

I'm not trying discourage you from trying this or asking questions, but in fact encourage you to put forth the initiative to learn what you you need to be successful at it. You might check out this post for a few terminal command basics. As you can see, everyone starts out as a newb...

I was thinking of assembling together some more basic commands into a "terminal primer" for beginners.

Good luck.

I was thinking of assembling together some more basic commands into a "terminal primer" for beginners.

Maybe I can help you with that. We got such a "terminal primer" in the university sometimes. I have to look for that - it was really good and simple for the beginning, starting with changing, creating and deleting folders etc. but was not only restricted in that simple things. Hope I still got it anywhere..

Hi there

It's not the case that I am not willing to learn some terminal basics...

It's just disencouraging if it does not even work at the right beginning :(

Well, my status is so far:

gods-ep45-ds3:~ god$ sudo -s

WARNING: {...}

Password: entered

result:

gods-ep45-ds3:~ god$

then I typed the command:

" umount -f /Volumes/EFiB{censored}"

result:

umount: unmount(/Volumes/EFiB{censored}): Operation not permitted

However I was able to create the efitemp folder in my home directory...

Thx a lot,

Ed

P.S.

Maybe I should have changed my pc account name before I post such stupid issues...no comment required :(

@prinzessin

Welcome and glad you found the forum.

However, could you please start your own thread? It will make helping out ed_von_schleck a little easier if there isn't other random posts in the middle of the dialog.

Thanks!

~Knotty

Sign in to follow this