Sign in to follow this  
ShabbosRoller

Transitioning From EFI-X to Chameleon on DFI LanParty

Hey everyone,

I haven't seen a thread on the boards about making the leap away from EFI-X when running on any of the DFI boards that were supported on the EFI-X HCL.

Bounav posted in a thread (http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=118) and seemed to indicate that he got his board running SL after extracting his DSDT table and patching it manually.

I'm attempting the same thing now and have a newly compiled DSDT.aml file I'm going to be trying on a Chameleon stick tonight/tomorrow.

Really I wanted to open a new thread so all of us DFI users can sort ourselves out.

Okay, off to the lanes.

Hey my mobo is LP DK p45 T2RS Plus and I tried many times to install SL these days cause I'm fed up with efix and their support.

I did everything as posted here http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish and after the boot I cannot install the os. It showed me 31 minutes for the install and I waited 5-6 hours. It's ridiculous and obviously there's something wrong.

Are there any specific settings for the BIOS different from the gigabyte one the guy uses in his post? Do I miss something? Please help...

Hey my mobo is LP DK p45 T2RS Plus and I tried many times to install SL these days cause I'm fed up with efix and their support.

I did everything as posted here http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish and after the boot I cannot install the os. It showed me 31 minutes for the install and I waited 5-6 hours. It's ridiculous and obviously there's something wrong.

Are there any specific settings for the BIOS different from the gigabyte one the guy uses in his post? Do I miss something? Please help...

Hey,

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me the first time through as well. SO SLOW I knew it couldn't be right. And so I started reading and researching.... Here's what I found.

I've made some progress and now have Snow Leopard up and running, although at the moment, I'm having videocard detection issues which I think I will be able to solve soon.

I'm going to continue to post what I've done here for all the other DFI users and hopefully we'll all be good to go soon.

FIRST THINGS FIRST ---- WE NEED A DSDT FILE

1) Extract the DFI DSDT Table from the motherboard using an Ubuntu live CD. I wanted to get our DSDT table from the motherboard using something other than my 10.5.8/EFI-X solution since I read somewhere that the EFI-X dongle might actually be patching it already and I didn't want my base DSDT file to be "tainted". So I downloaded the latest Ubuntu and loaded it up and opened up a terminal window.

2) cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > tempdsdt.dat <---writes the binary dsdt table to a a "tempdsdt.dat" file from the linux "sub-system" (forgive me, my linux terminology SUCKS!)

3)If you use the same Ubuntu disc I used you'll need to install the iasl tools using apt-get iasl or something (when you try and run iasl it will instruct you how to install it and I can't remember off the top of my head.)

4)Decompile that .dat file with: iasl -d tempdsdt.dat which will get you a tempdsdt.dsl which is your fully uncompiled DSDT file extracted right from linus which was originally pulled from your BIOS which is where you need to start for SL patching.

5) There are of course a few errors in the DSDT source you'll need to fix (thanks to the MS compiler which is sloppy!). For the record, for me, it was 3 local variable not initialized and 1 function not returning a value errors that needed fixing.

I've attached my "fixed", not-patched for snow leopard dsdt.dsl file to this post so you don't have to go through the first steps and can use it as a base for patching (although I'd recommend that you do go through the first few steps in case for some reason your board has a different BIOS/DSDT table or something).

WE HAVE OUR DFI DSDT FILE

6)The next step is to patch that dsdt.dsl file using Koalala's ACPI Patcher so that it matches the hardware configuration you're using. I'd post my patched DSDT file but as they are hardware specific it doesn't seem totally useful.

I do however have SL up and running now (albeit in a slightly lower resolution) and Windows 7 running in Fusion so I should be able to make some good progress on the system later this week and will of course report back for fellow DFI users here in this thread.

AFTER YOU HAVE A WORKING SL PATCHED DSDT FILE

1) You'll still need to make a Chameleon bootloader usb stick/partition to use your DSDT.aml (the compiled version) once done with patching it. I followed the guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954 which I was led to by Mike here: http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=103

I'm pretty sure there are more ktext being used than I'll probably need in the end up but I haven't had TOO much time to mess around with the setup yet. Now that I can at least get this system running (and a VM Windows session too), I'm going to be getting much deeper into it and will get this sorted.

OPEN QUESTIONS

I'm using an Nvidia 8800GT (although am going to try a 9600 something or other soon), do I need to patch it into the DSDT file if it's natively supported by OS X? Not sure... Might PM mike about it to see what up.

Also, does anyone know what KTEXTs are actually required? I've seen all sorts of conflicting results (including the lifehacker post that has no loose KTEXTS and only an mktext archive) regarding this and am wondering what are the bare necessities to get things running.

Where is bounav? I'd love to have his help!!!! He seems to be the first DFI user full up and running. (EDIT: bounav HAS been in touch with me... I'm the dick that forgot to check his inbox... Anyway, we'll keep working!)

Hello DFI Lanparty owners!

Sorry I have been pretty busy on other fronts recently.

There has been some misunderstanding, I did not succesfully boot SL with my DSDT.aml + Chameleon rc3 setup. However I booted it on leopard (without proper gfx card detection).

So far I was working on a DSTD file extracted from Leopard, booting of my fully functional Chameleon RC2 + kexts setup.

Next time I give it a go I will try working from a dsdt extracted while running Linux.

I'll keep you posted.

Hello fellow DFI users!

I tried (albeit briefly) yesterday to install SL but only got as far as opening Disk Utility from the SL installation process, whereby it would hang with the spinning beachball of death whilst "Gathering Disk Information". I can only assume my dsdt file was not patched correctly.

I'll probably give it another try later in the week and will of course report back if I have any luck with it all.

(p.s. Bounav - one offshoot of having my cmos reset yesterday was that my box now shutsdown properly under Leopard! Knew I'd "fix it" by accident...)

I'm back and happy to report, we're now another step forward.

I'm running in SL with the graphics card seemingly working (I'm running at the monitors max 1920x1080 and it looks good). Since I'm not sure I mentioned it, for the record, I currently have a 8800 GT 512 in this box. Desktop seems to run fine and everything is stupidly snappy as it should be. Haven't tested 3D but because it couldn't be "this easy" I'm sure something is wrong and it's not right.

No sound yet but I haven't even started to think about that until now. I'm sure it's a ktext, or DSDT patch or driver away. If anyone has ideas let me know (I believe it's a Realtek ALC885 which I thought was automatically compatible but I guess it's still needed in the DSDT for SL)

Shutdown/Sleep don't seem to be quite there yet either but I haven't seen a single kernel panic yet and really I'd say the OS as a whole (minus the issues above which I'm sure are all resolve-able) is running really really well.

I'll post more info and some of the files I'm using when I get a chance later today.

Sign in to follow this