Sign in to follow this  
kcome

CPU temperature monitor

Hi guys :)

My chameleon boot hackintosh now nearly perfect except for the 64bit wifi driver. And for a further shameless wish, i don't know if we could use vanilla kext(s) to get CPU temperature monitor applications working as they did on real macs. If anybody has any experiences on this, glad to follow :)

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Hardware Monitor from Bresnik Software used to be able to show you some vaules, however I am not using it at the moment. In earlier version I needed to enable readout of CPU-internal sensors by running running the command (terminal) shown below once. Apperently Intel changed the internel core temp sensors to ones which are only accurate near max temp. I don't know if the fix below still works, as it vanished from the author's website.

http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

You can enable the support for Tests with this Terminal Command after you have install the X86 Driver:

defaults write com.bresink.system.tempmonitor EnableCoreTempReadingsForCPU10670 1

For disable the support type:

defaults delete com.bresink.system.tempmonitor EnableCoreTempReadingsForCPU10670

From bresnik's Hardware Monitor FAQ:
I am using an Intel-based system of a model series which was announced after January 2008. Temperature Monitor can display the external CPU temperature but not the temperature values per core, even if I install the driver for extended x86 sensor support. Hardware Monitor displays "Core Hot" status sensors in that case. Does this indicate a problem?

No, this is the correct and intended behavior for some specific Intel processors. When Intel introduced the third generation of Core and Core-based Xeon processors, manufactured in 45 nm technology ("Penryn" series), they also changed specific aspects how the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) on the chip cores are working. To check if your system is using a third generation Core processor, open the System Info window in the application and press the button More info… inside the window. A processor of this series will be identified as x86 Family: 6, x86 Model: 23.

If a processor of this series additionally identifies as being Xeon?, it won't be possible to get an accurate per-core temperature reading. Those processors are equipped with Digital Thermal Sensors which do not work linear enough under normal operating conditions. They will only show accurate readings near the maximum allowed temperature limit. For this reason, Temperature Monitor won't display core temperature readings in that case, Hardware Monitor will display a "Hot" status information only.

If a processor of this series identifies as being a Core 2 Duo, it will depend on the exact CPU model. For the processor types in use by Apple, the applications should be capable of displaying core temperature readings. If you are using a CPU usually not found in Apple computers, the applications might not always be capable of displaying core readings.

source: http://www.bresink.com/osx/216202/issues.html

Hi Shadow_X,

I had checked your suggestion and I found it uses its own kext to do the work. What I wondered is that if we could use something like modify dsdt to get Apple's factory kext to detect and display CPU temperature. Just a personal curiosity :D

There is a Apple tool to monitor/show the CPU temp???

Hi Shadow_X,

I had checked your suggestion and I found it uses its own kext to do the work. What I wondered is that if we could use something like modify dsdt to get Apple's factory kext to detect and display CPU temperature. Just a personal curiosity :D

hi AsereBLN

I think i didn't make myself expressed. I mean for example http://islayer.com/apps/istatnano/ iStatNano which is a dashboard widget which shouldn't contains any kext and it must retrieve CPU temperature values from Apple's (non-3rd-party) interface. And also there is a way that could lookup cpu temperature just from ioreg , can be found here http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051021115356696 . I believe this is utilizing original interface too.

Thanks fro replying :)

Sign in to follow this