Sign in to follow this  
Jonnywb

Switching to Chameleon...

First a little note, deauthorize itunes before you continue. I've already wasted one of my five activations. (Master reset can only be done once per year)

Lifehacker's mkext can be unpacked with a terminal command. Copy the Extra folder to your Desktop and make sure that there is an "Extensions" folder in your Extra folder. Open a terminal and run this command:

sudo mkextunpack -a x86_64 -v -d ~/Desktop/Extra/Extensions ~/Desktop/Extra/Extensions.mkext

Add any required kexts to ~/Desktop/Extra/Extensions, then run these commands to adjust the user rights and permissions (Be careful with those commands):

sudo chown -R root:wheel ~/Desktop/Extra

sudo chmod -R 755 ~/Desktop/Extra

Now we are going to make a new Extensions.mkext:

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m ~/Desktop/Extra/Extensions.mkext ~/Desktop/Extra/Extensions/

It will output a wall of text, and there should be note that the file was created at ~/Desktop/Extra

Rename the Extra folder on your Thumbdrive to Old or something like that (you can also delete it, if you have a backup elsewhere). Now run this command: (Adjust /Volumes/THUMBDRIVE)

sudo cp -r ~/Desktop/Extra /Volumes/THUMBDRIVE

Check your thumbdrive and make sure that all files are in the right folder, then reboot and start OS X in verbose mode (-v).

Shadow_X

Do you mean that I should do it? Or is this an answer to peejer?

I am a bit reluctant to do anything now, after all my stuff is working. But apparently you know more about those things than I do. So, if I also should do it, can you please explain why?

You might know and think of something you assume I know. Be assured: I don't! :o

Thank you for your support!

I started to write before you found your own solution (had a little break in between :))

If it works for you the way it is, leave it that way :)

(Never change a working system)

Oh, OK. I thought you've seen something I missed. Like rebuild caches and such. I am not that good in those things. Without EFI-X disaster I wouldn't even tried such things.

But now at least I am learning a lot. :)

Shadow-X

trying to do what you presented. I have gotten as far as trying to make the Extensions.kext step and it tells me that there is no work to do.

Also why would I want to start in Verbose mode? I think I'm getting in over my head. I don't know squat about programming or command line operations (does it show?)

I feel that I'm pestering and that just doesn't feel right. So know that I'm appreciative of your help and time. If this is starting to get too much like hand-holding just say.

You will be able to install it using a retail disk (in case of chameleon, the contents of the DVD are copied to a 8GB or larger USB-Stick) and most updates will work without hassle. However like efi-x, chameleon isn't apple. There is always a chance that you'll need to delay an update for a few days until chameleon has been updated or a fix for a certain problem has been found.

I used this guide to install it on my system:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish

The guide is using a different Mainboard, in other words you will need to replace their dsdt.aml with one that is compatible with your mainboard.

Premade DSDTs can be obtained here (please read the thread as you'll need to chage a value labled ABLN to 0x0000004f in order to enable sound): http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=38

A guide how to create your own DSDT (aswell as a different installation guide) can be found here:

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=103

edit: I am using vmware to run windows xp, but yo should be able to dualboot.

Just wanna say thanks, I did all of this and now have snow leopard with the update running well with Win7 on another drive.

Much Appreciated!

Sign in to follow this