Sign in to follow this  
Schlamasseliese

Guides only mac-based?

install the bootthink on a usb drive. use the kexts from here to place in the proper folders on the usb drive

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4jzazmdyngm

then use the dsdt from this file

http://www.efixusers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=357&d=1255734722

and add it the the proper place on the usb drive.

(proper places are outlined in a pdf included with the boot think drive). you should now be able to boot into your os x partition.

ignore all the complicated dsdt stuff when you don't wanna run Snow Leopard..

getting an efix mac to boot without efix is a 10 minute job with boot think, if you're lucky sourcing the .kexts (i was)

Thanks for your answers!

I have been really busy unfortunately and just get around to address the problem tonight.

djsam: thanks for the advice! I downloaded (and studied the readme) bootthink and then went on to download your links, but they were broken. Did I mess up something or did they timeout in four days?

It seems the best method to me as far as I understand.

Schlamasseliese

Thanks for your answers!

I have been really busy unfortunately and just get around to address the problem tonight.

djsam: thanks for the advice! I downloaded (and studied the readme) bootthink and then went on to download your links, but they were broken. Did I mess up something or did they timeout in four days?

It seems the best method to me as far as I understand.

Schlamasseliese

not sure why the links are dead. i didn't post them, i found them on the helpful tools page of this forum. email me and let me know what you need and i'll try to get it to you.

I am not a fan of BootThink.... Have you tried booting to your Mac drive using the Psystar free download for their Rebel thing? Download and burn their iso... this should get your into the OS to build your Chameleon stick which I really like... for help, follow my guide to guides here....

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=478

Bear in mind that you will probably loose your custom bios settings when booting with the CD. A little annoying, but not so much if you only have to change your settings a couple times.

Well, I tried bootthink, but something didn't work out. I told it to install to the USB drive but I think it didn't and instead went to the MBR or somewhere. Also the installation dialogue was just one question (where to put it) and not several (like what to boot first and stuff). When I choose "boot from USB stick" in my bios, it fails completely. But when I choose the XP partition, it offers a small windowsstyle dialogue where I can choose between bootthink and xp. Bootthink however leads to a kernel panic of Leo.

So I put the dsdt for my mobo and several kexts from some other source on the stick, but I don't really understand how this all works. Is it reading the stick during boottime? Does it refer Leo to the stick? (But it is installed under XP and formatted that way, fat32 or so. So maybe Leo can't read it?) The pdf of bootthink is as usual: all I need is absent and all that is written is only useful for people who already know. Typical help file.

I share your caveat about the root kit possibility of bootthink, but I currently have no interesting data on this machine and once I manage to build a SL Chameleon bootstick and make a complete backup of the most recent files and emails I want to switch from L to SL and from XP to WIN7 respectively with a clean chameleon install.

Sign in to follow this