Sign in to follow this  
peejer

question about parallels 4

I've got a copy of Parallels 4. I just bought Windows 7 and installed this to a 250gb SATA drive. I now have three HD in my rig. I can boot all three drives from Chameleon with no problems. So I know that everything is working.

I was reading on the Parallels website that I will need to reinstall my windows 7 in order to create a virtual machine on my SL HD. Is this correct? I guess in my mind I thought I could point it to my HD that already has Windows 7 and go from there.

It seems to me that if I have to create a virtual drive that will expand in size won't I be duplicating my Win 7 HD and thus cannibalizing my Snow Leopard drive.

That is right.... it basically puts the whole thing into a file.

Fusion (latest version) has the ability to "import" your Windows partition and put into the file thing eating up your SL drive... For me it was very slow and prone to crashing the whole system... so much so that I removed it.

Anyone out there with a good experience with either Parallels or Fusion? If so, how extensive is your Windows usage while on it? Also anyone with experience with either on a REAL Mac....?

Thanks.

Yup, AFAIK there is no way to run your Win on your other HD using Parallels. To my best knowledge, no other solution will help you either. The whole point of this is that you should be able to use that Win disk for something else (Timemachine?) after you have migrated all other OS's to virtual domains

Now, I used Parallels V4 until a few days ago, before I updated to V5.

The biggest issues with V4 I had - I couldn't migrate any of my Win7 installations to VM: Parallels Transporter would simply not recognize the boot partition. There were some tweaks how to solve this but, since V5 was out, I didn't want to spend my time with those since I wanted to update. V5 even supports Aero graphics now,

Now, about my Win usage: I use it a lot. Unfortunately. Most of the Adobe apps are not OSX 64Bit capable. So, I run them in my Win7 64Bit VM. The same is true for BlackBerry DesktopManager. Some Garmin utilities are also not as good in their Mac version as they are on Win. By far. I also need to run Outlook from time to time since Entourage is kinda crippled to severe extent communicating with Exchange server. Whatever I can do with a few clicks in Outlook it's a nightmare in Entourage or even not possible at all.

Now, I tested both, Parallels and VMWare before I made my decision which one to buy. For me, and I cannot really recall the whole details now, Parallels won hands down. Faster, better OSX integration, nifty features and such. There was something which really ticked me off with VMW but I cannot recall it now. But it was severe enough to just trash it and buy a few Parallels licenses in the next half an hour.

For me it was vice versa.

VMWare Fusion just seemed a little bit snappier than Parallels.

Although both in fact did work fine.

And if it's only for CPU-intense things, the speed is really about the same as a native install, only graphic-intense things (especially games) don't run well.

I use windows quite a lot for DVDShrink (nothing like that on the Mac) and for TeamViewer (somehow the Mac-version does not send key-combinations correctly while the Windows-app does - might be because the remote-computer is a Windows-PC).

All in all VMWare 2 and now 3 work very well here with Win7 64 Bit (the ReleaseCandidate).

Hi Steve,

Try DVDFab in Win (not free)... You can backup your DVD's and burn them all in one step.

I installed the latest Parallels and it seems more stable than Fusion.... I keep getting hung system with Fusion...

I've been looking into the virtualization dilemma lately. I used to run Parallels 2 with XP, and it always worked pretty well. I had heard a lot of folks saying that Vmware was better, but I never tried it. Then, I heard that you could actually boot your bootcamp partition in Fusion as your virtual machine. This is really what I would like... having one windows install to manage, being able to use it on the fly in OSX, but also being able to boot into it natively if I needed to do something more intensive that can't be handled in a virtual environment (what that might be, I don't know). However, this doesn't do someone with a Hackintosh any good, because we couldn't install the bootcamp partition that was necessary for this to work... until recently... This post on Prasys' blog describes how to load a modified boot camp assistant that will allow one to install a boot camp partition on a Hackintosh. Great, but...

After reading some on the Vmware forum, it seems many people are not exactly happy with the new release of Fusion... it almost appears unusable. Who knows when they will get the problems ironed out.

VirtualBox also recently added the ability to use your bootcamp partition as a virtual machine. However, it also seems to be riddled with complications, but it seems to be moving in the right direction. Read about it HERE on the forums. Some people have gotten it to work with a lot of terminal fudging, others have not had so much luck. And this is on a real Mac mind you... throw in the added complexity of a Hackintosh, and I'm not sure if it's worth it...

Parallels 5, however, has gotten such good reviews compared to the others, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go with that. Maybe having a separate virtual partition wouldn't be so bad... Isn't there a way to take a snapshot of your Windows partition, and make it into a virtual machine in Parallels? Has anyone here had any experience with that?

I guess one of my main concerns is that if I try to install Windows 7 twice... once on it's own partition, and once as a virtual machine... that Microsoft might say I'm installing it on more than one computer and shut me down. Does anyone know how that would work?

I'll be getting an official version of Windows 7 soon, so I will play around with all of the options and see what I can get to work, as soon as I have some free time that is...

If anyone could answer the questions I posed above, that would be great. Thanks!

Sign in to follow this