Sign in to follow this  
peejer

question about parallels 4

I went ahead and installed my copy of Parallels and succumbed to the idea of having to have two Windows 7 installations, one on a native HD, and the other as a virtual drive on my SL HD.

Knotty I was wondering if I was going to get the Microsoft message as well and I was allowed to use the same product key for both my native and virtual installation.

On my EFix rig, I had made a mirror of my previous XP HD and migrated that over as a virtual machine. I had to post on the Parallel's forum and found some great help over there. In all honesty though it was sort of a pain and I don't know if it was worth it. I'm glad that I have the fresh clean copy of Win 7 and I didn't have to worry about. For full disclosure my XP HD was filled with photos, mp3, games, etc and was a beast to migrate b/c of its size.

I'm running my parallels machine with no prob so far. Installation was quick and easy and no real issues that I see. The main reason I wanted Windows 7 was for game playing and as you know this doesn't work well in Parallels 4. So I end up having to boot into my Win HD anyways. Still playing around with it and it's always nice to have options.

I guess one of my main concerns is that if I try to install Windows 7 twice... once on it's own partition, and once as a virtual machine... that Microsoft might say I'm installing it on more than one computer and shut me down. Does anyone know how that would work?

Technically, Product Activation will see two different hardware assemblies (one real, one virtual), and thus see two unique PCs. The thirty day activation time window applies. Legally, well, IANAL.

If it helps, Windows 7 Home Premium is available as a three PC license, for roughly 50% more than the single license. Three for the price of 1.5. This is for the upgrade release, but all you need is a Windows XP or Vista CD to show as proof of eligibilty for the upgrade. This would satisfy the technical requirement of effectively running two Windows installations on one PC.

Sign in to follow this