Sign in to follow this  
AsereBLN

Chameleon / PC-EFI Booter

That's absolutely funny. a bunch of finnish words that make no sense :) Finnish is one of the most difficult languages for automatic translators.

sori - heheh.

Just a big thank you really, I saw on another site you were where from Helsinki - wonder whether the Vanta Hotel is still going, they had these huge painted lips as a logo, have fond memories of that going back 12 years. But we won't talk about that!

I was also asking you opinion regarding any i7 setups that might work. I get totally confused with Insanely Mac, but thats likely due to the fact that I am not 25...., the reports are mixed, and as Asere pointer out on new boards the Northbridge and Southbridge are on one chip presenting difficulties for a OSX Vanilla setup. I was offered one kind of cheap with an Asus MB.

T.

sori - heheh.

Just a big thank you really, I saw on another site you were where from Helsinki - wonder whether the Vanta Hotel is still going, they had these huge painted lips as a logo, have fond memories of that going back 12 years. But we won't talk about that!

I was also asking you opinion regarding any i7 setups that might work. I get totally confused with Insanely Mac, but thats likely due to the fact that I am not 25...., the reports are mixed, and as Asere pointer out on new boards the Northbridge and Southbridge are on one chip presenting difficulties for a OSX Vanilla setup. I was offered one kind of cheap with an Asus MB.

T.

From Finland yes, but not from Helsinki. That hotel is familiar to me as well :) I'm not quite 25 anymore either, should be easy to guess my age...

Have to tell you that I haven't been looking into i7 builds yet but I don't see why Asus wouldn't work. As far as I understand The KING is successfully using an Asus board and I haven't seen any negative comments about those either.

Here comes the first shoot of an improved Booter based on Chameleon 2.0 RC3 + PCEFI 10.5 with with features/improvements:

1.) further improved CPU detection. The "original" code failed regularly to detect the number of cores correctly on my system. It works under the hood. No configuration.

2.) System-ID property injection into efi/platform node. This allows you to throw away PlatformUUID.kext and/or UUID.kext. A Fix for the "CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35".

OS X uses the "system-id" in /efi/platform to setup the Platform UUID (see: IOPlatformExpert.cpp).

How system-id is setup: If I find a SMUUID value in smbios.plist and if this is a valid UUID, then I will use this as the system-id. If I cannot find a SMUUID value, then I try to determine the System-UUID from SMBIOS (Table 1). The original System-UUID from the Gigabyte BIOS. If there is no valid System-UUID in SMBIOS, then I will use a default system-id.

The Booter generates a message which System-ID it uses if you boot in verbose mode.

I recommend the remove PlatformUUID.kext and/or UUID.kext. Remove also the SMUUID in the smbios.plist. In this way you are using the System-UUID supplied by the BIOS. No need to configure something!

3.) I have also changed the PCI-Root-UID detection behavior. You can configure the PCI-Root-UID to be used in Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist with:

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>[COLOR="Red"]Value[/COLOR]</string>

Use 0..9 as the value. Also the old "-pci1" and "-pci0" switches are still working.

First PCIRootUID is checked, then -pci0/-pci1. If there is no one of these, then the code tries to obtain the UID value from the DSDT. If this fails, then the default UID value "1" is used.

If you use one of my patched DSDTs, then please add:

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>0</string>

to Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

You will also find a special version of the Booter with some Debugs regarding the CPU. It would be very nice if you could run this version once and take a photo of this messages. Please add a photo or screencapture (Win7: Snipping tool) of CPU-Z main window. The SSDT tables would be helpful too. Please read here how to obtain them using a Linux LiveCD.

You can post these two photos here. I will need and use the info automatic P-States/C-States generation in Chameleon.

Find my values (Q9550, Stepping E0) in the attachments.

I use only LegacyHDA.kext, fakesmc.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext for SL.

BTW, I'm very busy at the moment and have only very little time for the hackintosh stuff. Still haven't found some time to terminate the Speedstepping stuff. Sorry :(

AsereBLN,

Thank you, I am very impressed and congrats on the boot screen and the subtle artwork.

I will have a look at the debug options another time.

Your efforts are much appreciated.

Brgds/T.

Thanks for the modified bootloader, works great on both my boards. You forgot to mention that you also fixed Nvidia 9400 GT, no more unknown card in System profiler when using GraphicsEnabler option.

Works great. Only issue is that my new Radeon 4870, while supported, refuses to display the proper resolution at the bootloader screen - it didn't do this with my GeForce 8800GTS. The resolution (1920x1200) is correct once Mac OS X is fully booted.

This is more likely an issue with the card/BIOS itself than it is with the bootloader, since the diagnostic information displayed during startup appears squashed as well. It's not much of a concern, really.

Sign in to follow this