Sign in to follow this  
afd_sg

MSI versus Gigabte

I am reading this board for quite some time now and managed to get two systems up and running nicely. But one thing still puzzels me big time.: I am using Chameleon RC3 vanilla. What is PCEFI 10.5 actually? I thought that's just a modified Chameleon but a bootloader nevertheless. But apparently not. Otherwise, why would you use them both simultaneously?

If PC-EFI is needed than why? What are the advantages using it?

Someone already pointed the PCEFI webpage to me. But what I understood reading it is, that's a modified Chameleon. Since my machines are running fine with vanilla Cham, I just dropped further reading. But maybe I am missing something important though

Can someone of you guys who knows let me know?

Many thanks!

Well I took the plunge and it worked first time, had more W7 issues than OSX.

Details below.

I used some of {censored}s stuff and added some of Aserebln changes. Have everything apart from audio (ALC889) and sleep is iffy, but it is yet but a few hours and I am surprised that it went so well.

How is the Sata controller on a newer MSI board, still no need for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext ? And powermanagement works out of the box like on my MSI board as you don't have any code for it in dsdt ?

How is the Sata controller on a newer MSI board, still no need for IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext ? And powermanagement works out of the box like on my MSI board as you don't have any code for it in dsdt ?

Well both work fine although things are not as good as I first thought, the DSDT I am using ex {censored} has the Nvdia 9800 hard coded into the the DSDT, and once I deleted the Mkext files, I had some issues. What is noticeable, Vanilla works, but lan connectivity seems very slow, and no audio. That said I am using an amended model of the DSDT for the GD65, but decided on the 80 instead.

It will be an interesting challenge to get it all together which is what I wanted. I like the AMI bios as well, seems much more straight forward than previously. I have also used Chief's OSXRestart.kext which is worth a try, on this MSI board it has made startup and shutdown very quick. My son is very happy with his PC upgrade!

Well both work fine although things are not as good as I first thought, the DSDT I am using ex {censored} has the Nvdia 9800 hard coded into the the DSDT, and once I deleted the Mkext files, I had some issues. What is noticeable, Vanilla works, but lan connectivity seems very slow, and no audio. That said I am using an amended model of the DSDT for the GD65, but decided on the 80 instead.

It will be an interesting challenge to get it all together which is what I wanted. I like the AMI bios as well, seems much more straight forward than previously. I have also used Chief's OSXRestart.kext which is worth a try, on this MSI board it has made startup and shutdown very quick. My son is very happy with his PC upgrade!

OSXRestart is what I use on both my MSI and Gigabyte boards, I don't need OHR.kext for shutting down. I suggest you should start with extracting your own vanilla dsdt and and comparing that with other models vanilla dsdt. Then you know how much of of that other board's dsdt is usable on your board.

Thanks MM67,

As always much appreciated and I have done what you advised and we are getting there.

Currently I dont have audio or sleep working and that is all. In About this Mac I see the audio driver, but in Sys prefs no audio.

The vanilla DSDT is twice the size and different to Gigabyte, but strangely enough there is very little running difference between the two except sleep, but with the vanilla DSDT sleep works and the USB ports do not shut down, while the power does but very nicely, the powerlight actually flashes (not pulse) similar to a real mac. The only other differences there is no Audio drivers shown at all with the original DSDT and the The ethernet drivers are not shown as gigabit which they are in the amended DSDT.

What is quite amazing despite my efforts NO KPs...

Complicated stuff - I somehow cannot import the sleep correctly into the amended DSDT, and the audio, not sure, the only kexts I am using are fakesmc.kext, LegacyHDA and OSXRestart.

I hope that this is not boring to other readers, if so I apologise, its a great learning exercise, the only problem is that the MSI references appear quite different to Gigabyte.

Archive.zip contains the original MB vanilla DSDT and the amendment effort, taken from info from many sources.

PS still using Aseres amended Boot and am including the two lines of the UID in com.apple.boot.plist

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>0</string>

Despite this being a non Asere DSDT the "0" seems to work fine...

Tks again & Brgds.

Thanks MM67,

As always much appreciated and I have done what you advised and we are getting there.

Currently I dont have audio or sleep working and that is all. In About this Mac I see the audio driver, but in Sys prefs no audio.

The vanilla DSDT is twice the size and different to Gigabyte, but strangely enough there is very little running difference between the two except sleep, but with the vanilla DSDT sleep works and the USB ports do not shut down, while the power does but very nicely, the powerlight actually flashes (not pulse) similar to a real mac. The only other differences there is no Audio drivers shown at all with the original DSDT and the The ethernet drivers are not shown as gigabit which they are in the amended DSDT.

What is quite amazing despite my efforts NO KPs...

Complicated stuff - I somehow cannot import the sleep correctly into the amended DSDT, and the audio, not sure, the only kexts I am using are fakesmc.kext, LegacyHDA and OSXRestart.

I hope that this is not boring to other readers, if so I apologise, its a great learning exercise, the only problem is that the MSI references appear quite different to Gigabyte.

Archive.zip contains the original MB vanilla DSDT and the amendment effort, taken from info from many sources.

PS still using Aseres amended Boot and am including the two lines of the UID in com.apple.boot.plist

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>0</string>

Despite this being a non Asere DSDT the "0" seems to work fine...

Tks again & Brgds.

That would naturally work since MSI uses 0 as default, this is where you can check the value of pciroot:

Scope (_SB)

{

Device (PCI0)

{

Name (_ADR, Zero)

Name (_UID, Zero)

Name (_BBN, Zero)

Notice the _UID there ? On GB boards that is 1 as default.

Sign in to follow this