Sign in to follow this  
afd_sg

MSI versus Gigabte

Hi Skipper, the original Chameleon in the i386 contains a boot file which originally came from Netkas.

As I understand it 10.5 and/or Asere's patch replaces the boot in the i386 folder, that is what I understand anyway, when 10.5 came out originally, I just replaced the Chameleon boot with the 10.5 version and later asere's fix in the Chameleleon 1386 folder.

I could be totally wrong but i don't think so.

Well I am very pleased to advise that my new MB is working perfectly thanks to the good work of one pm_mickey on the insanelymac forum.

He made a custom DSDT.aml based on great work of Master Chief and some parts of ACPI tables from real iMac11,1.

pm_mickey says

"Both network cards, onboard audio, Nvidia GT 8800 512 MB, all 14 USB 2.0 ports, SpeedStep, Deep Sleep, Wake, AHCI, JDmicro, and probably FireWire (I dont have any firewire device and can not test this part).

Also I made custom Chameleon boot based on RC4 and work of recuros, Duvel300 and many other people that do not need fix for restart and some modifications of efi platform table. Also correct CPU interconnect BUS.

System works very well with MSI P55-GD65 and i7 860 but probably will also work for other MSI P55 boards".

This was implemented for the MSI-P55-GD65 MB with other MSI P55 boards, and it certainly all works on my GD80 with improved ALC889 audio and Airport extreme wireless "n". I have removed the Nvidia GT8800 graphics entry in pm_mickey's dsdt and the FRWR entry as without them Chameleon correctly sees my GTX260 card, Firewire, an external FW disk is seen without the FRWR entry, but NOT with it.

So I am now very happy with this new setup although I have gained a couple of kext files but I am using FADT.aml in place of the kext OSXrestart. It all functions as expected.

This is really great stuff and I have my own boot screen back!!

Have a great non-ef-x 2010

Hey afd_sg, maybe you can attach a copy of that DSDT? Some (MAYBE me) will be quite interested to see it and perhaps use it as a base for these boards.

Hey afd_sg, maybe you can attach a copy of that DSDT? Some (MAYBE me) will be quite interested to see it and perhaps use it as a base for these boards.

Hi Richiem,

I was going to attached the Extra directory but zipped its 2MB and too big for the group. If you PM with an email address I can fwd it that way, same applies to anybody else.

It contains all the dsdsts, vanila, pm_Mickey mod dsdt, plus the dsdt.aml which is pm_mickey minus the 8800 GFX and Firewire and the smbios plist to recoggognise the i7 and iMac11.1

Seasonal regards.

afd_sg,

I must thank you, along with mm67, for this dialog, as it inspired me to go the MSI route as well. I just put my machine together, and got it to post and boot from an Ubuntu Live disc. Now for the fun part...

I had gotten my Gigabyte dsdt down to 500 lines, now I'm back to one with 9000! This is some kind of cruel joke I am playing on myself...lol

Anyway, thanks. Hopefully we can persuade more people in the future to go with MSI instead of Gigabyte.

PS- Are you Tony Dickinson?

Sign in to follow this