Sign in to follow this  
afd_sg

MSI versus Gigabte

afd_sg,

I must thank you, along with mm67, for this dialog, as it inspired me to go the MSI route as well. I just put my machine together, and got it to post and boot from an Ubuntu Live disc. Now for the fun part...

I had gotten my Gigabyte dsdt down to 500 lines, now I'm back to one with 9000! This is some kind of cruel joke I am playing on myself...lol

Anyway, thanks. Hopefully we can persuade more people in the future to go with MSI instead of Gigabyte.

Hi that is good news Aargh, you are quite active in a number of forums.

For no real reason I always prefer to use my real name as that is best as I always stand by what I say and do not need attention or anonymity. Also our "friend" in Taiwan knows who I am and is aware of my contacts with Apple Asia. I just do not like scams and people who steal other peoples work, and rip people off and I standby that 100%.

Wonder what MSI motherboard you are using? The only issue is that Gigabyte seem to have bios issues and there appears to be no doubt that the AMI bios MSI uses is more consistent across the board. Only issue there is likely so much out there with Gigabyte and all the different ideas which confused me

I have made up the essential bits of the extra directory I use. It is not complete as I have different dsdt.aml files in there to chart the progress, but some of these might be of help if you have not already experimented with the info on insanelymac. Hope it helps...

Have fun, it took me all of two weeks to hunt around, but its only two weeks and well worth the effort. pm_mickey has done a great job and appears to have an understanding of how it all works.

Well, I got everything running pretty well using pm_mickey's dsdt. Like you, I just removed the 8800gt info. Finally figured that to get rid of the popping sound before system noises, I had to change the model from iMac to Mac Pro in smbios. I was having issues with FADT, but when I used the one that you posted, it works and I could get rid of OSXRestart. (The one I was using raised my temps 10 degrees! and didn't fix restart) So, Thanks!

The one thing I can't get working is auto sleep. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

Hi - Auto sleep not sure yet I will monitor it. When I use the Apple/sleep option the PC does sleep and the power light flashes, and it wi wake up from either mouse or keyboard or power button press.

The monitor sleep works fine in auto, however I believe that I have never seen either this or my previous hackintosh auto sleep like what I would describe as hibernate that I described above. In the BIOS setting I set the sleep option to OS.

That said I also have 3 Macs in the family 2009MacPro, 2008iMac24 and a 2009MacMiniServer. (Having spent so much with Apple over the years I have no prob with the EULA until they produce a MiniPro) as I do a great deal of audio and video file crunching and need powerful machines. All the real Macs auto sleep exactly the same as if you manually "hibernate" them. My hackintoshes dont. If you find out why please let me know.

I must say the i7 is almost as fast as the 2Xquad Nahalem.

By what you are saying and what I have noticed elsewhere MSI seems to have a similar BIOS wise across all their boards, so one DSDT seems to work well on a number of platforms - that has to be a big plus....

Sori the above post was sent in a rush... The AFD_SG handle is my initials and the SG is Singapore. I am British but have lived and worked in SE Asia most of my life. I cannot stand the cold and the long miserable dark days in Europe. Weather is predictable and some say boring here, but I like it. I am a great creature of habit and am happy for it to get light at 0650am and dark at 0715pm 365 days a year. Even the rain is warm.... which normally happens for an hour in the afternoon.

Sounds very pleasant. I spent some time in Panama, similar latitude, and loved it. We hie off to Hawaii or Mexico in February, when the Puget Sound area gets really hard to bear. But in summer, no place better.

Sign in to follow this