Sign in to follow this  
Aargh-a-Knot

Knotty's p55 Build

Hey guys. I am keeping an account of my latest build.

Here's the components that I chose:

Case: Lian Li v1000z eBay: $70

Mobo: MSI P55M-GD45 LGA 1156 Motherboard Newegg: $119.99

CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz Newegg: $279.99

Cooling: CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H-50 CPU Cooler Newegg: $77.89

Graphics: Asus 9600GT Silent 512MB GDDR3 Video Card Newegg: $94.99

Memory: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 Newegg: $129.99

PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550 Watt Modular Power Supply Newegg: $64.99

Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hdd Newegg: $109.99

Total cost: about $950, not including shipping and other hard drives that I already owned.

Here is a link to my Newegg wish list: Aargh-a-Knot?s i7 Hackintosh

And, if you want to read much more details about this build and see some photos, check out my blog, HERE.

I will keep this first post updated with new versions of my DSDT as changes are made.

Update 15-01-2009:

~I altered pm_mickey's dsdt to add firewire functionality. So far, everything seems to be working great!

Update 17-01-2010

~I changed the location of the Firewire Device and gave it hot plugging capability.

Update 18-01-2010

~I enabled power button to sleep computer, removed Method (MCID) that wasn't being called

~Download it here: Aargh_p55m_v2.2_dsdt.zip

You are definitely on the move here, Knotty. Really cool case. Love the roller feet. Was it that freight-type outlet in Tennessee?

Woah, way to go Knotty!

Have you already decided which p55 board you'll take?

I am sorta kibitzing here, since I already missed my own set deadline to buy one. It would be nice to have something matching yours. Oh no, I am NOT trying to copy here... I am just hoping... you know... nah, whatever... :)

The case is certainly very nice and LanLi really do look good - I have the cheaperPC-7W version, they are very well made and functional. What I like about LanLi is that they give extra room behind the MB to hide all the wiring.

Be interesting to see whether this thread develops away from Gigabyte as my set up is certainly vanilla, I just need to get the ALC889 sound working better, with Asere's latest mod, P and C states are all functional out of the box, it all just works... I am not saying MSI is better what is noticeable is that they do not appear to be changing the bios as often as Gigabyte do in the form of betas, and mostly it just works. MM67 was of the impression that Apple are likely using AMI bios, as my P55 i7 thinks its an iMac.

No need for EFI strings my GTX 260 was seen correctly by the system without any kexts. I thought it would be difficult, but due to the fact that it all just worked was a big surprise...

The Chinese appear to like colorful PCs.

I guess I have lived here too long as here is a shot of my iMac-LanLi version it really looks good.... Well I think so as previously I might have considered it not very tasteful, but I like it...

Sign in to follow this