Sign in to follow this  
The Great Gatsby

Can Chameleon boot Windows XP (x86) from GPT partition?

There is a way to get Chameleon to boot XP directly.... but this is a full 3 credit semester long class. In other words, it is complicated and requires devling into learning about the grub and grub4dos bootloaders. Not an easy thing. I did this close to a year ago, and it is not fresh in my mind. I can only point you to the methodology, but not the actual specifics.

The important thing to note is that XP will NOT boot if it is not on HD0,0. This is why the Efi-x loosers never supported XP. This is an XP shortcoming.

1- You have to create a separate partition on your booatloder drive. This has to be an EXT4, linux partition type. Label the partition "Boot XP".

2- On this partition, install GRUB.

3 - On the grub menu, create an antry to boot grub4dos (which is a file rather than something in the MBR). The grub4dos stuff has to be stored on this EXT partition.

4 - If you look at the sample menu in grub4dos, there is a method for booting into XP by a) searchingfor NTLDR, adn B) remapping the found drive where NTLDR is to be a hd0, and to then boot this drive.

There is no way for Chameleon to see a bootable partition with grub4dos directly. Thus the interim step. For me the whole process of finding and booting XP is only a few seconds. Chameleon will see the EXT partition and boot it invoking grub and then grub invoking grub4dos.

The pluses is that I don't have to be vigilant about hitting the F12 key, or having to know which is my XP drive on the drive list.

The minuses are, a huge learning curve on the grub stuff... you basically have to learn both bootloader's stuff. You have to do all this from Ubuntu, or similar.

The good news is that if you are using this on a laptop, reformat the whole this, by booting to a PartedMagic CD, and then partition your main drive with the first partition as an NTFS (this will be partition hd0,0). This is where XP gets installed, second partition gets Mac OS, and third partition gets Ubuntu... Install Ubuntu second, and lastly Mac, and final step is to install Chameleon. If on a laptop, install Chameleon directly to the Mac drive (non-vanilla).

I am sure I am forgetting something big... This is not something for the newcomer for the reasons described above.

Good luck.

I've further investigated the issue, and here's what I've found out:

1. You actually can install Windows XP (32 bit) on a drive with a GPT partition table.

F) Now, you should be able to boot all three operating systems: Use your Chameleon USB stick when you want to boot Snow Leopard or Karmic Koala. Bypass it via 'F12' and choose to boot from your hard drive when you want to boot Windows XP.

That's it! :)

Why do you need to use Chameleon USB stick when you want to boot Snow Leopard? It's too inconvenient!

I can boot Snow Leopard or winxp with out Chameleon USB stick.

Use Chameleon USB stick boot your Snow Leopard, then install Chameleon 2 RC4. Then you can boot Snow Leopard or windows XP without Chameleon USB stick!

How to make a data partition? I want to make

partition like:

1 EFI Partition (FAT32)

2 Mac OS X (HFS+ journaled)

3 Data partition (FAT32 or NTFS)

4 Windows XP (NTFS)

Please help me!

Thanks

Q: Can Chameleon boot Windows XP (x86) from GPT partition?

A: Yes! (But there's a few caveats)

You can boot XP directly from a GPT Partition but that partition needs to be hybrid mbr. The basic procedure is something like this:

If dual booting:

GUID Partition Table

Part 1: EFI 200mb or so

Part 2: Mac OSX HFS+

Part 3: Windows XP NTFS

GPT Fdisk is the tool to use:

gdisk /dev/sda (running it from parted magic a linux live distro you can use unetbootin to make)

p (to print current guid part table)

r (for recovery and transformations options)

h (for hybrid mbr)

then select just the xp partition (3 in this case)

then w to write and then exit

If XP doesn't boot: use a windows xp recovery usb/cd to do this

fixmbr

fixboot c:

bootcfg /rebuild

chkdsk c: /p

If the partition table changes due to a mac os update for example, you'll need to re run the gdisk program....but wait you can install the mac version of gdisk so you dont have to run it every time the mac command would be like

gdisk /dev/disk0 (you can get the disk number by running diskutil list)

Sources:

GPT fdisk Tutorial

MD's Technical Sharing: Dual booting Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and Windows XP on Asus 1000HE netbook

Sign in to follow this