Sign in to follow this  
flyingroti

10.6.2 Kernel Panics...

I had a 10.6.1 retail install using the lifehacker usb flash method. Not everything worked (time machine, bonjour did not work, and no matter what I tried, I wasn't able to make a custom loader even with Asere sending me a DSDT file for my system:confused:) but it was a workable system. I accidently updated to 10.6.2 the other day and now its giving me kernel panic fits. I tried replacing the 10.6.2 mach_kernel with the one from my lifehacker usb bootloader and am still getting panics (version mis-match between Kernel and CPU). I am hoping since technically the hard disk is a retail install, this will be "work aroundable." Can someone please help!

Thanks

Ben

Now I can get to my desktop...and it goes grey and tells me to reset. On verbose boothing, this is the panic I am getting:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.GeForce(6.0.6)@0xfffff7f80fe3000->0xfffff7f81086fff

dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(6.0.0)@0xfffff7f80a41000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.0)@0xfffff7f80a3200

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0xfffff7f80604000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.0)@0xfffff7f8093f000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: WindowServer

Mac OS Version

10C540

Kernel Version

Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:35:19 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64

I am not entirely sure what that all means, but clearly since I am lame enough to type it, I NEED HELP!:D

I gather that my graphics card does not agree with some of the kexts in the 10.6.2 update? That's my best guess. Any ideas on how to help me fix this???

Thanks

Ben

Going to need to know what kexts you're using in the USB stick and what's in your boot.plist. Also, the 7300 card is trouble, this I know for sure, I've been there. It won't work in 64-bit mode. Get another card, say an 8800 or 9800 series; I'm using a GT220. Then I think we'll be able to get you going.

thanks for the quick reply! I guess I will invest in another video card (of the ones you mentioned, do you have a preference?). but it the meantime, I can get it up with 32 bit? I tried that already and am still getting the same panics. I have attached the extras folder from my usb. Any ideas?

Thanks so much again!

Ben

thanks for the quick reply! I guess I will invest in another video card (of the ones you mentioned, do you have a preference?). but it the meantime, I can get it up with 32 bit? I tried that already and am still getting the same panics. I have attached the extras folder from my usb. Any ideas?

Thanks so much again!

Ben

The nVidia 7xxx cards are only working in 32Bit. I had the same issue. Just use this com.apple.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>[COLOR="Green"]arch=i386[/COLOR]</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

You might enable GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn too, like in the example above.

BTW, if you use my Booter, then you can cleanup the smbios.plist a lot. It could be look like that:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W87234JHYA4</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Well, I would get rid of the Disabler, and use the fakesmc.kext that I've attached, which is more recent and is for 64-bit. Other than that, changing the video card probably makes the most sense at this point.

Sign in to follow this