Sign in to follow this  
fraser

audio device has disappeared

Question

Well, after many long satisfying months of using my mac, which was built with the help of the people on this site, a rather bizarre problem has appeared.

My audio settings have disappeared. I used to have sound via either line out or digital out and it never caused me any issues. Today I discovered that I have no sound, and in the Sound panel for System Preferences, I have a list of devices with the prefix "Analog PCM #0:" and "Analog PCM #1:".

I've not touched anything for months, I'm pretty sure I've not installed anything that would corrupt my install and I've used disk util to make sure all my permissions are correct.

Anyone got any suggestions?

(FYI, I'm running 10.5.8)

5 answers to this question

Well, after many long satisfying months of using my mac, which was built with the help of the people on this site, a rather bizarre problem has appeared.

My audio settings have disappeared. I used to have sound via either line out or digital out and it never caused me any issues. Today I discovered that I have no sound, and in the Sound panel for System Preferences, I have a list of devices with the prefix "Analog PCM #0:" and "Analog PCM #1:".

I've not touched anything for months, I'm pretty sure I've not installed anything that would corrupt my install and I've used disk util to make sure all my permissions are correct.

Anyone got any suggestions?

(FYI, I'm running 10.5.8)

Are you sure that 1. in your bios settings that audio is still enabled, and 2. that your boot drive is correct.

I too have noticed that sometimes things change supposedly mysteriously which I can later attribute to some addition and deletion that I might not have considered important or relevant. But there are a number of apps that do affect the caches.

It might be a good idea to temporarily place your Extra directory into the root of your OSX drive and run the Kext Utility.app, then copy it back to your boot device after having repaired your disk permissions.

Have you a backup (time machine or other) that backs up your Extra director which you could restore in an effort to find out what has changed?

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions.

I solved the issue by the rather outlandish solution of buying a 27" iMac :-)

I feel kinda dirty being on the forum now, almost like I sold out...

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions.

I solved the issue by the rather outlandish solution of buying a 27" iMac :-)

I feel kinda dirty being on the forum now, almost like I sold out...

Hello Mr. Fraser,

A very unique opportunity has opened up. With the economic crisis, NYC is about to go bankrupt. However Mayor Bloomberg has made available to a select number of investor agents, the possibility to buy into city property. I have been fortunate enough to be assigned the representation of shares for the Brooklyn Bridge!! For only $1,000 a share, you can own a piece of the historic landmark. You will also be able to vote with other shareholders on the installation of a toll system for the bridge. This is expected to generate $10 million a day! Which will translate to approximately $20 a day per share.... In just 50 days, you will gain your original investment. In 5 years you will be able to retire. If you double or triple yor investment, you will be able to retire sooner. Unfortunately, as a share agent, I cannot invest my own money, otherwise I would purchase a large bulk.

I can make available to you a maximum of 10 shares.... If you are interested, I will meet you in a public park and exchange the share certificates (they are handwritten at the moment) for your soon to grow cash. Sorry but I only accept cash....

How many shares do you want to get....? You cannot tell others about this, as the mayor may cancel the offer if too much attention is drawn to the city's financial troubles. Especially do not mention this to the police, as they would surely block the legislation, in the hopes that their union would capture control.