Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pkarza

talk me out of it...

Recommended Posts

Someone... talk me out of it..

I'm considering buying an efi-x 1.1

I've been using boot think, and I have also created a chameleon boot usb, too -

BUT -

I'm just concerned that they will quit on an upgrade.

Should I do it???

Talk me out of it..

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You ought to be more concerned about an EFi-X failure on an upgrade. Several of us went through upgrade hell with v1.0 for months and I see no reason to think that ASEM has any better handle on it now than they did then. It looks to me like they only got fixes in place after the hackintosh OSX86 community posted the fixes open source and put them in Chameleon. So why wait for ASEM to use open source stuff when you can do it yourself?

Really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pkarza,

Does your box work right now using boot think/Chameleon? If so then don't worry. No one using a hackintosh should automatically update their OSX to the next update the day it comes out. Wait until others have done it first to give it a green light. You never know what Apple may break. As long as it's working today, it'll work next week.

A good idea if you haven't done so already, is to turn OFF the automatic update function in OSX. So that you don't install it by accident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading both here and the efix side of things regarding the 10.6.3 update...

Both have a few sound folk having issues and at least on efix some black video too.

So, I'd stick with the free helpful user community (who had solutions in place almost instantly) rather than "We're working on it" and utter silence otherwise from efix...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I've seen more issues with upgrades of the OS on real apple machines since 10.6 was out than I ever have. 10.6.1 totally hosed two friends' iMac built in audio inputs and subsequent updates have NOT corrected the issue, look on apples' forum about this "mysterious" issue with some iMacs and MacBooks. There's just a buttload of posts at Macintouch about odd issues that have happened since 10.6 it's probly the worst point update of any OS update ever.

That said, if their own system has tons of issues on their own hardware, then it goes without saying that Chameleon or EFiX will possibly have issues. This is all "use at your own risk" stuff we're dealing with.

Personally, I have not upgraded since 10.5.8 because I have a great running quad machine running an EfiX 1.0 and I'm not gonna rock the boat for all the troubles I see with 10.6, this thing is smoking fast and I've never had a problem with it now in almost a year...well just a couple minor issues but that's all.

I may in fact build another one for a friend because it's so cheap to do and I don't have to be a programmer to use an EfiX, I just need to not expect much if it breaks as far as support. Chances are if it does then the company will replace it. And it's either going to run okay within the first year or it's not. It's worth $100 of my time to do that rather than spend a bunch of hours trying to figure out all the nuances of Chameleon and worry that some driver issue will disable my machine and I'll have to go hunt up a bunch of code fixes and do command line bullshit. No thank you, that's not for me. I can't see that OS 10.6 has that much to offer over 10.5.8. And the previous version EfiX is costing $99 now. I'm certainly no proponent of those boobheads at Asem, but I'm less of a proponent of having my machine break easier with a software based clone than it will with a hardware based clone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.