Sign in to follow this  
rlynch

VMWare Fusion install fails

I'd like to be able to run windows at the same time as OSX by using VMware Fusion on my hackintosh running 10.6.3. Running the VMware installer results in a dialog saying it "can only be installed on Macs with Intel processors"

Although I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz processor, About This Mac shows an "2.83Ghz Unknown" Processor

Could this be the source of the problem?

Ron

Incorrect CPU ID could be your problem. Using Asere's patched DSDT and bootloader v1.1.9 should fix the ID problem. You may need to have a CPU that supports virtualization as well, with that option selected in BIOS -- I don't know if yours does; some do, some don't.

Hmmm. Since I am total newbie, in order to install Snow Leopard I had successfully used the excellent instructions found on "Install Snow Leopard on Your Hackintosh PC, No Hacking Required" at

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required#commentform

I didn't have to deal with a DSDT or bootloader per se since it (I think) all rolled into the instruction's EP45UD3P Snow Leopard.pkg file.

How can I learn to use the patched DSDT and bootloader to fix the processor ID problem?

BTW, I am trying to install VMWare Fusion v3 which is compatable with SL in 32 and 64 bit mode. Oddly I find that my SL boots into 64 bit-yes mode even when I hold down the 3 and 2 keys during osx startup

Incorrect CPU ID could be your problem. Using Asere's patched DSDT and bootloader v1.1.9 should fix the ID problem. You may need to have a CPU that supports virtualization as well, with that option selected in BIOS -- I don't know if yours does; some do, some don't.

Sign in to follow this