Sign in to follow this  
Mr-Gonfio

The HDMI nVidia (9800 or other cards) issue....

Question

Hi there!

Reading here and there, (and chatting A LOT with richiem and other helpful users here!) since 10.6.3 was released, lots of videocards (included mine!) have stopped working or are working in VGA only.

One of the issue is connected to HDMI port that is quite difficult to get it worked, I, for example, have got an Gainward 9800GT 1024 DDR3 with DVI, VGA and HDMI ports, I had the HDMI connected to my 28" Hanns-G monitor since 10.5.8 but I'm still unable to get it work under 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 (no signal after the apple logo boot screen).

Now I'm working with ONLY VGA output (no dvi and no hdmi).

I've tried lots of solutions:

My own DSDT, Asere DSDT with efi string, graphic enabler, NVCAP values, patched DSDT, followed the excellent Elmangomez's post (http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=478)...

...I also read about patching the NVDANV50Hal.kext adding my card id but I was unable to do it.

I also tried to add my videocard .rom in my EFI-USB but I'm not sure I did it right...

So what I'd like to do here is to collect as many user experience as possible in order to find out a solution (or at least try) to this HDMI (and in my case also DVI) 'issue'.

Please, if any of you is able to make the hdmi port working, be sure you're running SL 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 and describe your bootloader config, how to, etc.

AND THE EXACT MODEL AND BRAND OF YOUR CARD (for ex. Gainvard 9800GT, ASUS GT220 etc...)

I hope to find a good solution for everyone has my same problem!

Thank you!!

Mac video cards have EFI instead of a BIOS and your PC doesn't know what that is.

You cannot use a Mac video card on a PC unless you reflash the BIOS on it with a BIOS from a PC video card, and by then it will be just a PC video card so...pointless.

Both DVI, VGA and analog TV-out work fine on my 9800GTX+. I have some problems with hotplugging but apart from that all three outputs are fully working (heads up; unlike in Windows, the OS X Nvidia drivers can only support two active outputs at the same time per video card). I haven't tried HDMI, I have no devices with HDMI inputs. I think the problem is with HDCP. HDMI might work if you use some sort of DVI to HDMI adapter rather than a dedicated HDMI output. Unless of course the monitor somehow requires HDCP present for it to accept a HDMI signal. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for some monitors/TVs.

Some people have reported working HDMI when injecting the BIOS from a 8800 GT (or is it 8600 GT?) video card. There's an active thread about that in the Snow Leopard post-installation sub forum on InsanelyMac.

To get the DVI port working properly you need to inject correct NVCAP and display-cfg values (this is important!! If you have some random values injected and it's half-working, you've been lucky so far). You can do that with NVEnabler or DSDT edit.

Read more in the NVEnabler release thread on the ProjectOSX forums.

Hi Gringo, sorry to answer you so late!

Thanks for your info about Mac-videocard, you save me some money !!

About NVCAP I've tried so many that I lost count...

I've been reading around for months (since 10.6.3 was released) in order to get some tips to get my (at least) DVI working, not to mention hdmi and I've tried several kext and/or DSDT tweaks with no luck.

I've also tried to get the bios from my videocard from windows and get the NVCAP from it but nothing worked so far.

I don't know what the display-cfg value is, could you please tell me more about it or link me some post where it's explained ?

I'm now 10.6.4 with VGA output and it's ok so I could live with it but it's just a question of curiosity if you know what I mean... :)

Thank you again for your reply and suggestions !!!

so does that mean your problem is solved?

I just got a new monitor today, it only has HDMI inputs, but it freezes my computer when I connect it that way. If i connect VGA it's no problem.

I don't know what's wrong?

I have 2 9800GT's 1GB ram and used the aquamac method with an EFI string.

Under 10.6, I once tried a Zotac 9800GT with 1GB of RAM instead of my Zotac 9800GT with 512MB of RAM (the 512 version of the card works great in my office setup). The 1GB version of the very same card never worked for me in the living room setup (same model of motherboard). I am not knowledgeable enough about graphic cards in our hackintoshes to know why that occurred, but I returned the 1GB card for another 512MB one and my living room hackintosh is now identical to the workhorse hackintosh in the office, working fine. Weird, but i wasn't keen on investing more time to find out why.

Good luck to you guys.