Sign in to follow this  
Faustus

Maybe I'm missing something... how is Efix a scam?

I mean they are providing a product that works from what I can tell. An expensive one that I'm not interested in paying for and yes I've seen the accusations that they are stealing code.

BUT I also know someone who owns a brand new efix and it works. He just plugs it in and he is running OSX. I'm trying to do the same thing with the free solutions and I'm already 3 days in and not done yet.

If they are really are stealing the free solutions then why does their just work and the others require so much trial and error?

Not trying to start a flame war or argument here. Just not sure how its a scam if their product does what it says.

So, if something works like advertised, it is irrelevant to you where the idea comes from?

Let's see: you have a great idea. You work hard and program an application. Someone steals your hard work, rebrands the app, removes all your traces from it, claims it is his own brain baby and the hottest thing since sliced bread. He then offers your app to the market for a nice sum of money. He goes to exhibitions, gives interviews and earns money. He does this without giving you a penny for it, denies you ever had anything to do with it and basically calls you a scammer for claiming the rights to your own work.

But hay! It's fine. The product does what it says!

Would you be sure than?

Well said Skipper. Not to mention the failure of the product itself (in many cases), lack of support (in fact totally rude people), update failures that would "break" an installation etc etc etc etc............

Yes Faustus, you ARE missing something.

Edited by Spike

Good question though, not many people know the story behind this product. Even ex-employees say it's a total scam. They won't do it on record, because obviously they have good lawyers or something(?). Anyway, well said Skipper!

Okay okay you do make good points. Obviously what they are doing is illegal, I'm not arguing that.

I guess what I'm saying is I've seen it work, pretty well in person. With way less work the the DIY route so even if it does contain stolen code I ask myself if it also contains more then just that.

Well, it contains more than stolen code for sure. And Vnukov might be a scammer but he for sure is not a stupid scammer. He know his ways around.

There were several tries to reverse engineer EFIX. It was proven beyond any doubt that EFIX is only a fancy packaged USB dongle with internal (board) connectivity. However, AFAIK, many people tried to extract the code out of EFIX dongle to prove his scam. But I am still waiting to see at least one single success.

So, Vnukov might (in dubio pro reo - we still don't have a proof) have stolen the community code. But he developed something which successfully prevents reverse engineering of the code inside the EFI-X dongle! Some huge, well known companies with gazillions of engineers and bucket loads of money didn't manage to do so.

In Vnukovs shoes I would drop the peanuts earnings with EFI-X and earn silly amounts of dough selling this code protecting mechanism.

Just my $0.02

Sign in to follow this