Sign in to follow this  
user1690

System wont shutdown properly?

Question

Hello there!

So i decided to once again setup Snow Leopard on my Eee PC. The installation went well, but i am experiencing a minor issue, and im hoping someone can help.

Sometimes when i goto shutdown, the system shuts off successfully, other times it does not, the OS will shut off but the system itself wont. When this occurrs i have to hold the PWR button to turn the system off, and when turning on again later, a kernel panic appears with a panic relating to 'Kernel_task', when this panic appears a system restart seems to solve it but i thought it worth mentioning, so the main issue seems to be the system not shutting down properly.

System Details:

Asus Eee PC 901

Intel Atom Processor @ 1.6GHz

2GB RAM Module

30GB ZIF HDD with Snow Leopard 10.6.7

Any help/info is greatly appreciated.

I installed VoodooHDA with Kext Helper b7, is that what you meant? If you meant how did i install the OS, i installed it from my iMac to a USB HDD, and then cloned the USB HDD directly to the internal HDD with GetBackup and then re-applied the bootloader to the internal HDD. Also, if it helps, im using Nawcoms Legacy Kernel for 10.6.7.

Edit: The program you provided does not allow me to modify the Extra folder in any way, anything to do with the Extra folder is greyed out, i can only install the Kext you mentioned by having it installed in /System/Library/Extensions.

Edited by user1690

i will recomend to do a proper retail install of the os, because cloning an existing one from a real mac its not the right way.

maybe this guide help you. good luck.

*Sigh* I was hoping to not have to re-install, that is the guide i attempted to follow before, but it always failed and the system was unbootable (Constant KP relating to a kernel trap). Is there no other way to solve this, you said the kernel_task KP seemed to relate to the VoodooHDA? If thats true, is there any way to solve it?

try removing it to see what happens but you will not have audio. but the best thing here is to do a clean install, not sure if could work but you can try nawcom modusb method to install:

Preparing the nawcom ModUSB:

- You will need:

1. the retail snow leopard DVD

2. a pendrive / external HD 8gb+

- Prepare the USB

1. format your pendrive / external HD to Mac OS Extended Journaled

2. Restore the retail DVD to the pendrive / external HD (with disk utility)

3. download and run the ModUSB, an tell the installer to install it on your pendrive / external HD that you just restored with the retail dvd.

now you should have your pendrive / external HD ready to install.

installation.

1. set your bios to AHCI mode. save settings and restart.

2. plug you pendrive / external HD and boot from it.

it will load for a while, then the installation procedure will come up just follow instructions. it will automatically detect your hardware and select the kexts you'll need, and add the ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext to avoid the bios loose your configuration.

Alright, removed all traces of any HDA kexts and am re-building cache's now. I will then re-install VoodooHDA (Since i found AppleHDA as well) if same symptoms pop up, i'll do the instructions listed above :)

So far so good, removing AppleHDA seems to have fixed this, have been able to successfully shutdown now, tried it 3 times just to make sure, no kernel panics! I will bookmark this page though so i can keep those instructions, in the event that i ever do need to re-install. :)

Edited by user1690