kyndder

[GUIDE]Creating a Chameleon Bootable USB from Windows

Hy guys!!!

First of all, i would like to thank Cassio from Olarila Forum who brought me this tip,

to ceckin from the VoodooProjects Forum who is the author of the original Guide and to

Gringo Vermelho from the VoodooProjects Forum which complemented the Guide with more tips and information...

Original post of ceckin from VoodooProjects > TUT: Create Chameleon USB from Windows

Post of Cassio from Olarila Forum (Brazilian Portuguese) > olarila.com ? Exibir tópico - Como criar um pen drive de boot com Chameleon pelo Windows

What you need...

Chameleon BootSector files > Chameleon_BS.zip

Latest Chameleon Build "boot" File and "Extra" folder (you can use from a specific version or the latest) > BuildBot

USB Stick

FakeSMC.kext > Fakesmc version 2.5 - Downloads - Kexts.com

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext > NullCPUPowerManagement (32-/64-bit) - Downloads - Kexts.com

Other kexts needed for your system like Lan, Audio, PS2, etc..., you can find your devices and after search for your system kexts using this app (Windows Version) > System Info - Downloads - Kexts.com

Other needed stuff (DSDT, kernels, config files, etc...)

Notepad++ to made changes to xml files from Windows (SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist) > Notepad++ Home

You can find useful information about Chameleon Configuration files here > http://www.kexts.com/guides-tutorials/10747-guide-chameleon-bootloader-basics.html

Creating the Bootable USB Stick...

Download the Chameleon`s BootSector files from the link above...

Extract the contents of the file...

Plug your USB Stick and check his "Drive Letter", for example e: (Assuming that you have only one partition and one CD/DVD drive)

Open Windows Command Prompt as Administrator (Navigate to "Start" button > "Programs" > "Accessories" > right click on "Command Prompt and click "Run as Administrator"...

When the Command Prompt window appear, navigate to the "Chameleon_BS" folder that you just extracted, for example

cd \Users\YOUERUSERNAME\Downloads\Chameleon_BS

Now run makeusb X: (Raplace X for your "Drive Letter")

You should see this... (Yes!!! I copied from the original post and pasted here!!! :o )

Format G: ...
Create boot sector ...
Read DBR: successful!
Patching FAT32 BPB: successful!
Write DBR: successful!
Write MBR: successful!
Done.
RePlug device before using it!

C:\Users\YOUERUSERNAME\Downloads\Chameleon_BS

Eject your USB Stick and plug it again...

Download the Files from the Chameleon Build that you want and Extract it...

Copy the file "boot" from the folder usr > standalone > i386 to the root of your USB Stick...

Copy the "Extra" folder to your USB Stick...

Create a folder called Extensions inside of the USB Stick "Extra" folder...

Download FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and move to inside of the USB Stick "Extensions" folder (and another needed kexts)...

Below you can find a basic "org.chameleon.Boot.plist", you can copy from here and use with Notepad++ to create your own (save as org.chameleon.Boot.plist inside of the USB Stick "Extra" folder)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>cpus=1 busratio=13</string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
</dict>
</plist>

If you have another extra stuff like DSDT or a modified Kernel, place the files at the root of your USB Stick...

Done!!!!

Now set the Default Boot Device to the USB Drive on your BIOS and enjoy!!!

Keeps telling the system cannot find the path specified...:mad:

To do the steps you need to move the path of the Command Prompt on the folder where you have the Chameleon Bootsector files...

For example, if the Bootsector files are in "\Users\YOUERUSERNAME\Downloads\Chameleon_BS" and your "Working Path" is root "C:\" the command will not work...

To do the steps you need to move the path of the Command Prompt on the folder where you have the Chameleon Bootsector files...

For example, if the Bootsector files are in "\Users\YOUERUSERNAME\Downloads\Chameleon_BS" and your "Working Path" is root "C:\" the command will not work...

So I have to start the command prompt in my downloads folder? :confused:

So I have to start the command prompt in my downloads folder? :confused:

You have to mode the "Working Path" to the folder where you have the Chameleon BootSector files that you download...