Sign in to follow this  
zedtux

GTX 5xx Enabler + ATY_Init then random boot failure

Question

Hello all,

I'm posting here because I'm a bit lost...

So, I've installed OS X Lion 10.7.2 on my PC (Asus P7D55D + Intel i5 750 + Nvidia GTX 570 + 4Go RAM G.Skill) using the ISO from N{censored}12495 (I've bought Lion on the App Store before but didn't find how to install it in another way than this one).

After installation done (with npci=0x2000), I've used EasyBeast with MB{censored} 4.1.0 in order to override the ridiculous boot screen from the ISO and more to install network card driver and audio driver, and to define my PC as a MacPro 5,1.

Network and sound is working fine, but display was very laggy on animations.

My first try was to download Fermi drivers from nVidia webiste, but when I launch it, it tell me that my system don't need this driver. (wut??)

Then I found the GTX 5xx Enabler (Without CUDA as I have only one card). I've then defined my PCIRootUID=0 (with 1 was crashing, and in the verbose mode I saw that my PCIRootUID is 0) and GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Wasn't working, so I re-installed it but checking ATY_init. Also I updated my NVDAGF100Hal.kext in order to add my DeviseID 1086.

I've also tried the tutorial [GUIDE] Edit AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to unleash nvidia's GTX 570/580 full power and save energy at the same time. but was crashing. I've reverted changes and then there is where I am.

Now when I boot my Lion, I've randomly boot failures. It could be on the grey screen, it could be just before to see the desktop (so I have a mouse, but a black or grey screen).

But when Lion boot, it work really fine except laggy animations.

I suppose I should show you some files, but as I don't really know what kind of file you need to help me, I prefer to wait requests from you.

P.S: I never installed any DSDT file.

UPDATE:

Well... My Graphic issue is now fixed (I don't know for now about random boot issues).

I've downloaded MB{censored} 4.2 and re-install all things, then I back to a small resolution (1024x768), and I re-installed GTX Enabler and ATY_init and now I have 400 fps in OpenGL Extension Viewer!

I will update the post in few days about random boot failures.

Edited by zedtux

6 answers to this question

Hey Mate,

Could you post your final settings?

What did you check in multi beast? (femi driver for 10.7.2?)

Did you enter the npci-0x2000 manually or when you installed multi beast via the check option?

is your PCIRootUID now set to 0?

Thanks

I still have boot failure :confused:

@Mikoman:

What did you check in multi beast? (femi driver for 10.7.2?)

I've posted a screenshot of MB{censored} configuration I did: http://oi43.tinypic.com/35ldips.jpg

Did you enter the npci-0x2000 manually or when you installed multi beast via the check option?

This option is defined automatically when installing EasyBeast.

is your PCIRootUID now set to 0?

Yes

First thanks for your reply. I figured it out now. Simplest way is often the working one :)

Ok here is what i did to make my Gigabyte GTX570OC finaly working in 10.7.2 (11C74)

Personaly i do not like other distributions (modified) of OSX just pure apple releases to install my mac. (you can't know what dirvers or other stuff are in there and they can make troubles) If you got your Mac running even in standart resolution mode you can make your purchase from apple store worth it. Make sure it is the latest 11C74 build.

For the sake of information i have to say that NON of the 570 drivers at osx86.net site did work for me in any combinations. Always KP or basic resolution and i tried everything!

1. Using U{censored} create your own installation from your apple store Lion purchase (there is an option in U{censored} to do that). Follow the instructions on {censored} site. Use usb stick or usb disk (disk is much more faster)

2. Boot from USB, select lion installation partition and install Mac OS X. There are no options so just install it. reboot from usb but now select your Lion partition.

3. Install MB{censored} 4.2.0. Select just easybeast, system utilities, and stuff for your mobo (in your case just jmicron) and set your system definition to iMac 12.2 (not neccessary but it worked for me). Nothing else. Do not install OpenCL 10.7.2 driver!

4. Reboot

5. Edit NVDAGF100Hal.kext and plist within using terminal not the finder. Coz finder wont display the package content properly. Dunno why. Add you card ID there. Save it, repair extensions using kext utility and reboot.

"sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAGF100Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist" is the command.

6. You should now boot to your screen native resolution. (if not you don't need to continue in this tutorial coz it doesnt work)

7. Install the AGPM for 570/580 using kext wizzard

8. repair permissions and you should be good to go.

This is how it worked for me. No aditional drivers. Just simple edit plist and overwrite old AGPM.

Hope it helps

PS: Played portal2 on max details for 2 hours, then 3 hours of surfing net without KP.

Great news.

However, I don't have any issue with graphics.

I only have issue on boot (panic kernel during the gray screen with the apple logo) and sometimes, juste before to have the desktop, I go the dark wave then the international message to reboot the machine.

For now, I'm going to leave with it, because I already decided to buy an iMac when the new one will be released (in 2 months maybe (following macrumors's guide)).

P.S: Or are you thinking that my random boot failures are caused by things I've installed ?

This tutorial helped me. I am getting great resolution can you play sound through your 570 gtx? or do you have to use on mobo or external sound card? I can get stereo sound from mobo no 5.1 or surround, but nothing through 570 gtx. Any pointers could help a bunch of us out..