Sign in to follow this  
camerongray

Boot without using "cpus=1"

Question

Hi,

I finally have my hackintosh working but I can only boot with "cpus=1." If I don't, I get the dreaded "Still Waiting for Root Device" message. I have tried cpus=1, cpus=2... all the way up to cpus=8 but I still get the same problem.

System Specs:

• AMD FX-8150 @ 4.0GHz
  • Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
  • 8gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws X (Booting with "maxmem=6144")
  • 1tb Western Digital Green as OSX Drive
  • 60gb Corsair SSD for Windows
  • 2x 1tb in RAID 1 (Storage for Windows)
  • Sony Optiatc DVD-RW
  • nVidia GeForce 210 512mb (PNY)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the final thing that needs done to complete my first hackintosh!

I'm already using those flags, I'm trying to work out how to boot without having to use "cpus=1"

Read the thread from the link and add the flag cpus=1 to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist...

Ahh, sorry for not explaining properly.

I already have "cpus=1" in the com.apple.boot.plist file but then it limits my 8 core CPU to 1 core which has a big impact on performance I want to be able to boot without needing this flag anywhere so I can use all 8 cores.

Ahh, sorry for not explaining properly.

I already have "cpus=1" in the com.apple.boot.plist file but then it limits my 8 core CPU to 1 core which has a big impact on performance I want to be able to boot without needing this flag anywhere so I can use all 8 cores.

You have only one physical CPU (cpus=1)...

The flag there`s nothing to do with the number of cores...

Use activity monitor to see your threads/cores or check the information at System Profiler > Screen Shot 2012-01-31 at 6.31.20 PM.png

Use Chameleon Wizard to always keep your BootLoader updated...

Ahh, in activity monitor it only shows one graph. If I double click the graph another window appears with 8 but no matter what I do only the top one shows any activity. If I run CPUx it shows 1 core with 8 threads where it should show 8 cores, 8 threads.