Sign in to follow this  
camerongray

[GUIDE] Use more than 4gb RAM on AMD with 32 and 64 bit apps working

I recently installed Snow Leopard on my AMD hackintosh with 8gb RAM but found that if I booted without limiting my RAM to 4gb (with "maxmem=4096") 32bit apps such as Google Chrome would crash as soon as I clicked the icon with the message "APP NAME has quit unexpectedly" After literally weeks of searching I have finally solved the problem so thought that I would post a guide here.

First of all you will need to download the "AMD INSN Patcher" which is available from here (osx86.net) or here (original source) and extract the zip file to somewhere, I simply put it on the desktop.

Then open a terminal and change to the directory that contains the files from the zip (if on desktop, type

cd Desktop/amd_insn_patcher/

)

Now enter the following commands pressing enter after each one and entering your password if prompted:

sudo ./amd_insn_patcher /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents

sudo ./amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

sudo ./amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/dyld /usr/lib/dyld

Once you have done this reboot the system without limiting the RAM with "maxmem." All your RAM should be recognised and 32bit apps will now work!

I hope this helps.

I don't know how you make it, but now Snow Leopard runs faster. You forgot one thing after amd patch, reboot and in chameleon bootloader choose -f or Boot ignore caches. Because you can get kernel panic, if you don't do it.

i just wanted to say thank you so much.. it worked for me.. now i use all my 12GB RAM "still recognized as 800 Bus speed DDR2" but now i can use them all in photoshop and after effect